A other than life license is required for insurance agents who wish to sell non-life policies (such as health or property and casualty) in the state of New York. It is typically tied very closely with the Life Insurance License and most agents elect to get both simultaneously, which we cover in our guide on How to Become an Insurance Agent (Local & National).

Other than life license  refers to all lines of insurance other than life, including health, accident, property, casualty, personal lines or variable life and variable annuities. These other types of insurance may also be sold as securities backed investments that require an additional FINRA Series 6 and 63 License in addition to the Life, Accident and Health and Other Than Life License.

Exploring the World of Insurance Courses: A Roadmap to Success in the Industry

To obtain an other than life license, candidates must complete a prelicensing course and pass the associated state licensing exam. Kaplan’s prelicensing course content is based directly on the New York State licensing exams, and students who complete our courses are prepared to pass the first time they take the exam!

Upon successful completion of the other than life insurance license, candidates will receive a school certificate. This certificate must be presented to the state when applying for the actual license. Having the other than life license allows you to work in a variety of insurance-related positions. This includes advising and recommending insurance products to customers, selling life insurance policies that pay a beneficiary after the insured’s death, and even annuities that provide a stream of income throughout retirement.